The_Grimwitch_Chronicles

This is a chronicle of a young woman who has chronicled her life in notebooks she had made herself and suddenly discovered the availability of Blogs and how she could share a part of her secret self to the virtual community.

7:50 pm

Gold Fee Shin Shop

Posted by Leto of Blood

Monday is always rush day for me. That Monday was no different. I had barely scrubbed myself down with a damp towel, brushed my teeth, combed my hair and changed into work clothes. It was a hot dry afternoon and I had to fan myself as I walked the green mile to civilization...well, actually...it was more of the village gate where I had to ride a jeep to the nearest bus stop to get me to work.

I was lucky to ride a fast jeep. Unfortunately, I was too preoccupied checking the stuff inside my backpack that I was dropped off a little farther than the bus stop that I had intended to get off in. So there was sweaty me, half walking half trotting to the bus stop when I bumped into this old lady with a young boy. Her hair was ashen gray and wrinkles accented her gaunt face. She looked poor but her threadbare clothes were clean. She almost fell over. I helped her get on her feet and the boy thanked me profusely. As I was about to leave, she held my hand. I was surprised and a little irritated but she held up a plastic bag tied with rubber band. It was filled with two common goldfish, its water bubbling and cloudy with debris.

"Please take this fish," she said. I had gestured no and had successfully pulled my hand away from hers but she ran after me. "Please, Miss. Please take this fish. My grandson and I have to go home to the province but we have no money to take the jeepney ride home." My mind was in disbelief. How could this woman have 2 goldfish and not have money for a provincial trip? The boy told me that it was the only thing they saved when their house burned down. I gave them an Osmena bill and ran after the bus. The boy ran after me and gave me the fish.

It was inconvenient carrying a plastic bag of fish to work but I have no choice. I rode the bus to work with the plastic bag of fish hanging from my backpack. When I got to the shop, my colleague was delighted to see the fish. She improvised our aerator as our fish bowl and bought flakes for their food. I was assigned to clean the bowl every other day and of course, provide for their medications and other paraphernalia for them.

I placed our plant inside the bowl and put some pebbles and rocks for them. Before, the bowl went on top of our counter but since our customers are often distracted with their googly eyes, I had to put them beside my desk where they swim about. Recently, I bought an oxygen pump for them because Yin had been swimming upside down. Yang is his usual naughty self (he tries to bite my finger for chrissakes!). I might buy a decent aquarium for them next time with filters and lights and eventually bring them home with me.

I have yet to notice if these fishes will bring in good business, as foretold by feng shui. I hope they do. And then, there would be lots of shops with gold fish in bowls bringing in good fortune to those who rent at west wing.

0 comments: